Jessica 'Jess' Ayanami
Two of Jess, relaxing on leave
|Residence||36 Atalante, Main Belt|
|Other names||Jess Ayanami|
Primary Writer: Benjamin Rhodes
Jessica, unlike many Fen, came from a wealthy and affluent family. However, despite loving her family dearly, she despised the lifestyle and shunned it. Fortunately, she's also pretty stable, so she didn't turn out too bad once she discovered anime. Though she loved cosplay. She doesn't take it to the disturbing levels that some Fen do, and focuses primarily on making quality costumes that she sells for her own profit. In this way, she made her own way in the world, only needing a relatively small loan from her family to get started.
One character she was very fond of cosplaying, however, was Rei Ayanami of Neon Genesis Evangelion and she has been known to keep a small collection of Rei costumes.
Eventually, like all Fen, she found out about handwavium and immediately made arrangements to procure some to modify her car, a simple 2-door Dodge Neon, into her own space-car. It was not long until she opened up her costume shop in Kandor City.
Fascinated by handwavium, she began to study how it works in an effort to produce her own unique strain. Her goal was to create a strain that could create a small army of bio-androids with very little fooling around and only a basic template to go by. This way someone could easily staff a large installation with very little investment on their part. Looking back on what happened to her, though, she feels it was probably a mistake for her to do all her research and development inside her own costume shop.
Once she had what she felt was a viable strain of quick-clone handwavium, she started on her latest project: a genuine Evangelion Plugsuit for cosplaying Rei Ayanami for the Annual Kandor City Cosplay Competition. Unfortunately, she had worked so long and hard on the wave-enhanced costume that she got into a last-minute rush. Murphy's Law states that anything that can go wrong will go wrong. So it was that she slipped on a left-over scrap of costume material right next to the vat of her experimental strain of handwavium.
The nature of this strain was that it held all the necessary chemical building blocks to create one-hundred replicas of whatever was used for a template. With no one around to rescue Jess, she remained in the quick-clone strain until it had exhausted its supplies and evaporated away. When she came to, she suddenly found that she had one-hundred-one sets of everything!
For a few very disorienting weeks, she had to learn how to cope with having more of her to work with. Whenever she lifted a finger, every one of her copies would do the same thing until she learned how to thread her consciousness into a sort of collective hive-mind. Fortunately for her, she had the help of friends and professionals.
She bounced back remarkably well, kicking her own business into overdrive with the sudden surplus of manpower. However, that still didn't pay the bills enough to feed all her stomachs, so she began to contract out her services as one of Fenspace's first temporary labor services. However, she felt that she found her true calling when she met Benjamin and Gina while they were recruiting personnel to staff their new asteroid base.
The rest, as they say, is history.
- Apparent Age: 14
- Height: 5'0"
- Weight: 98 lbs.
- Build: Athletic
- Hair: Short and Shaggy, Brilliant Cyan
- Eyes: Blood-Red
Notable Mundane Attributes
- Army of One: Handles most of the day-to-day operations at 36 Atalante, even the cooking and cleaning (though she has help from a lot of Clanks).
- Old Habits: Jess still makes costumes in her spare time; it's still her one love and joy.
- Multitasking: Jessica can be doing any number of various tasks without interruption - even sleeping!
- Independent Runner: A single Jessica can operate independently of the Jessica Collective. This is useful for when a single Jessica needs to operate from beyond the range of the rest of her Collective.
- Can't Hide Everything: Supreme physical stimulus, whether it is pleasure or pain, can actually effect the rest of her Collective Consciousness. This is evident if she forgets to take off the A10 clips before she partakes in a… act of passion.
- Synchronization: If a Jessica has been running independently for more than a month, then she may begin to grow new thought-patterns that differ from the Collective. Depending on how the Collective feels about the changes, they will either be drowned out or fully assimilated.
- Not Your Daddy's Rei: Unlike the character whose namesake she took, Jessica is highly emotive, usually cheerful, and is disdainful of people that feel that she should be more like the Rei of Evangelion.