|“||First and last, what is demanded of genius is love of truth.||”|
—Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Sprüche in Prosa (Proverbs in Prose), 1819
|“||Stop building things that EXPLODE!||”|
—Kat Vance, Sequential Art, strip #675
|“||How can she not care?! This is SCIENCE!||”|
—Agatha Heterodyne, Girl Genius, volume 13, page 91
Fenspace's usual abbreviation for "Mad Scientist", inspired by Mystery Science Theater 3000. While most people have a Blue Hair Day once or twice in their lives, Mads have metaphorical Blue Hair Days on a regular basis.
The Mads range from "slightly loopy" (Benjamin Rhodes, Kohran Li, A.C. Peters, etc.) to "full-out Hammer-Film-star candidates" (The Professor, Dr. Asmodeus Grey, etc.). Pray they're never all in the same place at the same time.
Foglio-Fen Mads are usually called Sparks, although not everyone who calls him- or herself a Spark is a Mad.
For most of the Mads listed here, the specializations given here are simply suggestions... and Mads are often bad at following suggestions.
- H. Junior Badille
- A "Mad Space-Scientist", based out of the Yggdrasil
- Martha Clark
- A four-color Mad, specializing in robotics
- R. Agatha Clay
- A Boskonian Mad Roboticist who's gone as far as to experiment upon herelf
- Dr. Asmodeus Grey
- The Boskonian who perverted the Julian Friez machine into the Catgirling Machine, amongst other despicable achievements
- R. Shizuka Hayama
- A "Mad Mechanic" based out of Station McAuliffe
- H. Agatha Heterodyne
- Agatha Clay's "good twin," based out of the Yggdrasil
- The Jason
- Fenspace's best-known "Mad Biologist"
- R. Kohran Li
- A Mad Scientist in the classic steampunk mode, specializing in things that explode.
- Fred MacManus
- A generalist Mad, best known for putting Pallas in a plastic bag
- Maxmilian MacManus
- Fred's AI assistant/companion, and a Mad in his own right
- Lt. Koyomi "T-Bone" Mizuhara
- This Yomi seems to have imprinted on Kohran Li (despite the two of the never having met during the younger Mad's formative cycles), echoing a lot of her Mad abilities and quirks
- A.C. Peters
- Best-known as a Mad Medic, A.C. is also a cyberneticist and electronics specialist.
- R. Quattro
- "Daughter" of R. Agatha Clay, a scientific generalist, and "mad" in two ways; she's both a mad scientist and a sociopath.
- Leonard da Quirm
- Probably the most prolific of the Mads. A generalist.
- The Professor
- Arguably the Maddest of the Mads. Responsible for the Julian Friez machine, Hades Station, and the bad reputation handwavium has in much of western Europe (especially France).
- Benjamin Rhodes
- A "Mad Military Scientist" and Mad Mechanic, better known as the leader of the Roughriders.
- H. Nikola Tesla
- Much like his real-world counterpart, and based out of the Yggdrasil
- The members of Catgirl Industries seem to form a Mad Group Mind.